Sun protection glass on the windows – types
Large glass surfaces are one of the biggest trends in modern construction. The need to ensure optimal conditions in the interior, combined with the aesthetic requirements of the façade, resulted in an increased interest in glass with special properties. An example of such products is sun protection glass. The available solutions are divided into three groups.
Currently not a popular solution, if there is a need to obtain only the sun protection properties of the insert. This type of glass is colored in the mass, e.g. blue or green. They are used to reduce the amount of solar energy entering the room through the window. It protects the interior from overheating. It is often known as Antisol glass.
This option may be in a colorless or mass-colored version, e.g. green or brown. The metal oxide coating guarantees the desired reflection effect. This allows the reduction of solar energy entering the interior and the reduction of the insolation of the rooms. This type of product is often referred to in commercial offers as Stopsol glass. As in the case of Antisola, it is used sporadically.
This type of glass is coated several times with metal oxides. This allows for a coating that guarantees the desired reflection effect. Thanks to this solution, it is possible not only to reduce the amount of solar energy penetrating into the interior through the glass, but also to provide effective protection against heat loss from the house or apartment. It is therefore characterized by very good thermal insulation – a low heat transfer coefficient . Currently, it is very popular mainly due to its color neutrality and the possibility of combining high light transmittance with protection of the room against excessive heating.
Examples of sun protection panes for MS windows
Various types of solar control glass can be used in structures from the MS more than WINDOWS offer. Here are some examples of solutions:
Glass tinted in mass, absorbent:
- Antisol brown
- Antisol green
- Antisol gray (graphite)
- Antisol blue
- Stopsol Clear (colorless)
- Green Stopsol
- Stopsol gray
- Stopsol brown
- Combi Neutral – Combi type glass not only provides an optimal ratio of the Lt to solar energy transmittance coefficient g , but also guarantees very good thermal insulation of the glazing unit. Thanks to this solution, the interior is protected against excessive heating (low g factor) and a large amount of natural light penetrates into it (high Lt factor). Additionally, a small amount of heat escapes to the outside (low Ug heat transfer coefficient). It occurs, inter alia, in variants 70/40, 70/35 and 61/32.
- COOL-LITE SKN – this solution ensures high light transmittance and low solar energy transmittance. The applied coating also guarantees high thermal insulation, i.e. it is characterized by low-emission properties. Available incl. in variant 176 and 165.
- SunGuard SuperNeutral – like other types of selective glasses, this glass provides a favorable ratio of light transmittance to solar energy transmittance. It occurs, inter alia, in options 70S, 70/37, 63, and 51.
Tinted solar control glass – acceptable construction
Stopsol and Antisol solar control glasses are used sporadically in the buildings. Due to the need to provide the inserts with adequate strength, the following conditions for the use of absorption and reflective panes in structures from the MS more than WINDOW offer were specified:
- Absorbent panes must be toughened. In the single-chamber version, the second (inner) glass in the package must also be in the ESG variant. If the inner glass is a laminate, its edges should be blunted. In the case of triple-pane versions with an absorbent pane on the outside, it is necessary to apply a low-emission coating on the central pane, which at the same time requires its hardening. It is permissible to use absorbent glass in the middle of the package, but in such a combination all three panes must be toughened.
- Body-colored reflective glass must be toughened (this requirement does not apply to the colorless version). In the case of colored options in a double-glazed unit, it is also necessary to use an internal glass in the ESG variant. In the Stopsol triple-pane package, it can only be used from the outside. The middle pane must be toughened – also when using the colorless variant, due to the presence of a low-emission coating.