Today’s windows not only guarantee the right amount of light in the interior, but also perform additional functions. One of them is to protect the house from burglary. Anti-burglary security packages are used to protect the room from potential intrusion. Their burglary resistance class is referred to as RC1 or RC2.
RC1 Burglary Safety Package – Construction
One of the options for equipping PVC windows, available in the MS offer more than WINDOWS, is the extended rc1 security package. It is made up of the following components:
- Four anti-balance hooks – these elements are screwed to the steel reinforcement. They work with hardened mushroom bolts, located in the boundary headdling of the wing. Half of the hooks are located in the lower frame element. In this way (to the degree of safety rc1) all swing-and-swing wings (UR) and wings in movable posts are protected. The minimum dimensions of the wing in rc1 resistance class depend on the welding technology – they are 430 x 300 mm or 430 x 330 mm.
- Handle with rotation lock, additionally secured with a key – this accessory not only prevents the window from opening by attempting to forcely move the bolt captured from the outside, but also by turning or breaking the handle after reaching it, e.g. through a cut hole in the glass.
- Anti-drilling plate – this element is mounted on the casing of the key. It acts as a control of the handle pin from the outside. Thanks to this, it protects the interior from an attempted intrusion, made with a small tool that would allow the nut to be opened by the butt house and, consequently, to open the window.
- Safe steel reinforcement – it is located in the frame and is characterized by a closed section. It is made of cold-bent sheet, which is 2 mm thick. The connector is made using a laser welding technique.
When should I choose the RC1 security package?
The RC1 security package is worth choosing when the location of the window favors the person who wants to enter the building. According to PN-EN 1627,this offender is defined as a random burglar who attempts to break in at an unspecified time. In order to enter the room, it uses physical strength and simple tools. Because its operation is accidental, the burglar does not know how the window is secured. In addition, he has no knowledge of what is inside. For this reason, he wants to act quickly, silently and, in the event of minimal risk, to be able to withdraw in a short time. The effectiveness of rc1 in the presented situation is the responsibility of:
- anti-balance hooks to protect the hinge components and the sash from being pushed out by an onslation of the whole body or by kicking;
- handle with a rotation lock, additionally secured with a key thatprevents the m.in. force-freeing of the eyediles;
- an anti-drilling sheet to secure access to the lock mechanism when it is attempted to be separated, e.g. by means of a heated piece of metal.
RC2 burglary safety package – construction
The second solution, available in the MS offer more than WINDOWS, is the RC2 security package. It is formed by the following elements:
- Anti-balance hooks – these elements are screwed to the steel reinforcement on each part of the wing. They work with hardened mushroom bolts, located in the boundary headdling of the wing. In this way (in RC2 security level) all tilt and turn sashes and sashes in flying mullions are secured. The minimum wing dimensions in this resistance class are 430 x 450 mm.
- Approved, secure key handle – it is resistant to a force moment of 100 Nm. The handle mechanism prevents the window from opening through force-shifting bolts, captured from the outside (using the tools specified for CLASS RC2).
- Anti-drilling plate – the element mounted on the casing of the coffer. It is located on the handle stem from the outside. Thanks to the fact that it prevents the nut from being opened and the window opened, it protects the interior from intrusion.
- Safe steel reinforcement – it is located in the frame and is characterized by a closed cross-section. They are made of cold-bent sheet, 2 mm thick. Laser welding is used to create the connector.
- P4A class pasted glazing insert – its outer part is laminated glass. It consists of two panes of glass and four layers of PVB film.
When should I choose the RC2 security package?
The RC2 burglary resistance class will work if the location of the window favours the potential burglar in an attempt to intrusion into the building using specific tools. The following conditions contribute to the increase in the likelihood of intrusion:
- location of the window on the ground floor from the garden side with a high fence,
- the location of the window in such a way that it is obscured by an outbuilding, gazebo or vegetation,
- location of the house at a great distance from other buildings.
The definition of burglar is similar for both described resistance classes. The potential perpetrator of the intrusion is described as accidental. He has no knowledge of the construction and security of the structure. He also does not realize what is in the room. Therefore, it wants to act quickly, not cause noise and be able to withdraw in a short time if there is a risk. However, there is a significant difference between the security packages presented. In RC2 class, the definition of burglar takes into account the use of tools (screwdriver, wedge or pliers) in up to 3 minutes.
Basic differences between RC2 and RC1
The definition of intrusion offender, in rc2 burglary resistance class, takes into account the use of tools. Therefore:
- the burglar can place more strain on the window structure than if it was only using physical force (i.e. as assumed by the RC1 burglary resistance class). As a view, more anti-balance hooks are used in RC2 windows. Their construction and fixing to the steel reinforcement make these elements resist when trying to balance the wing;
- closed reinforcement ensures stable fixing of the components anchoring the window frame to the door frame;
- a handle resistant to a force torque of 100 Nm shall be used in RC2 class windows;
- in the RC2 burglary resistance class uses a pasted P4A glazing cartridge.
The tools used by the burglar can exert more force on the glass than is the case when using only physical force. Using a flat tool (with high force) on a small surface results in high stresses and cheduly of the glass. The burglar may attempt to get through the outer wing seal to the edge of the shaft package by using a screwdriver. Using this tool allows you to gradually chew the glass and thus gain access to the soaring strips. The consequence of such action is to push the glass out of the wing.
RC2 burglary resistance class – type of glass used
In order to avoid pushing the glass out of the sash, windows with rc2 burglary resistance class are equipped with p4A class pasted glazing packages. In this case, the outer pane of the shaft insert is the laminated glass. It consists of two panes of glass (each 4 mm thick), connected together by four layers of PVB film (having a total thickness of 1.52 mm). The total thickness of the laminated glass is therefore 9,52 mm. This type of shaft insert makes it difficult to make a hole that would allow the burglar to invade the room. In addition, to increase window protection in the glazing zone, a glass lock is used before being pushed out. Currently, special adhesives are used for this, which fill the space between the insert and the wing. This creates a mechanical combination of the sash and the shaft package. This is a major impediment to a potential burglary.